White wine vinegar is one of the most common types of vinegar used in cooking.
Whether it’s to pickle foods, marinate meat, deglaze pans or prepare delicious sauces.
However, sometimes you run out of white wine vinegar, and you wonder what can I substitute for white wine vinegar?
Here I have brought 12 Best White Wine Vinegar Substitutes along with their health benefits and the amount that you can substitute.
Some of the best substitutes for white wine vinegar are champagne vinegar, sherry vinegar, and white wine, which can be suitable substitutes in cream-based recipes. However, there are many varieties of vinegar available that you can easily use as a substitute. Like all kinds of vinegar as acetic acid, each type of vinegar brings its unique flavor to the dish.
In salads use lemon juice as a substitute for white wine vinegar, for adding light acidic flavor to the dish use red wine vinegar or rice vinegar.
Specialty vinegar and fruit vinegar are also excellent substitutes for white wine vinegar.
The tangy flavor of white wine vinegar adds a distinct taste to soups, vinaigrettes, and sauces.
But, what can you do if a recipe calls for white wine vinegar and you have none on hand? Use a substitute for white wine vinegar.
Best White Wine Vinegar Substitutes
White wine vinegar adds a light and mellow sour flavor to a dish.
Therefore, choosing a substitute is a delicate process because every variety of vinegar brings its distinct flavor as well.
The closest and the best substitutes for white wine vinegar are the ones that bring the same characteristics and flavors.
In this article, you will learn about the 12 most unique and best substitutes for white wine vinegar.
1. Red Wine Vinegar
Now reading the name of red wine vinegar, you might be thinking that, can I substitute red wine vinegar for white wine vinegar?
Yes, red wine vinegar is one of the best white wine vinegar substitutes.
Red wine vinegar has similar characteristics as white wine vinegar as both types of vinegar are made from wine.
However, red wine vinegar has a rather bold flavor and is more acidic as compared to white wine vinegar.
Also, red wine vinegar might add color to a dish, so using it in a light color dish might not be a good idea.
Use it as a substitute in meat marinades, pickling, vinaigrettes and salads for sour and tangy flavors in recipes.
Substitute: one tablespoon red wine vinegar for one tablespoon of white wine vinegar
Health Benefits of Red Wine Vinegar
- It helps in regulating blood sugar
- It helps with digestion
- Red wine helps in the absorption of calcium
- It can help in improving skin and hair
- It’s rich in healthy nutrients
Red Wine Vinegar Bad Impacts on Health
Daily consumption or overconsumption of red wine vinegar can have adverse effects on health.
- It can worsen digestion and can cause nausea, heartburn or indigestion.
- Red wine can impact heart or blood pressure medication by lowering blood pressure to a dangerous level.
- It can cause tooth decay and damage tooth enamel.
2. Can I substitute rice vinegar for white wine vinegar?
You can easily substitute rice vinegar for white wine vinegar.
Rice vinegar is made from fermented rice, whereas white wine vinegar is made from the fermentation of white wine into vinegar.
Therefore, both the vinegar have a similar flavor profile.
Its light and acidic taste make it an excellent addition to salad dressings, sauces, pickled vegetables, and slaws.
It’s a staple in Asian cuisine and is used in stir-fry, rice dishes, and soups.
However, compared to white wine vinegar, rice vinegar is mild and has a slightly sweet flavor, so it can be used in some dishes only.
Substitute: one tablespoon rice vinegar for one tablespoon of white wine vinegar
Health Benefits of Rice Vinegar
- It helps in boosting immunity
- It helps in improving digestive health
- Rice vinegar prevents cardiovascular problems
- It helps in boosting energy levels
- It’s a natural facial toner and gives a radiant skin
Rice vinegar bad impacts on health
- Rice vinegar is potentially safe for health
- Overconsumption of vinegar can have a negative effect on health
- Natural rice vinegar is beneficial for health
3. Sherry Vinegar
Sherry vinegar can be a good substitute for white wine vinegar.
It is made from a Spanish wine sherry. Like most wine vinegar, it is a little sweet with some nutty and caramel flavors, which makes this vinegar unique from others.
Aged sherry vinegar becomes dark in color; therefore, as a substitute for white wine vinegar, young and lighter sherry vinegar should be used.
Sherry vinegar adds an acidic character to the dishes; it’s good to use in salads, marinades, glaze, and sauces.
Substitute: one tablespoon sherry vinegar for one tablespoon of white wine vinegar
Health Benefits of Sherry Vinegar
- It helps with weight loss
- It aids in liver functions
- Sherry Vinegar helps in combating indigestion
- It helps in lowering blood sugar
- It helps in increasing calcium absorption
Sherry Vinegar Bad Impacts on Health
- Overconsumption can lead to osteoporosis
- It can enable tooth decay
- Overconsumption can impact digestion
4. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice has a sharp, sour flavor that is quite like white wine vinegar.
Hence it can be used as a substitute for it.
For dishes that require a tangy, punchy flavor, adding lemon juice is a great way to enhance flavor.
However, lemon juice is quite acidic in taste, so it is useful for adding in marinades for meat and salad dressings.
The tart flavor of lemon juice does not make it a direct substitute for white wine vinegar owing to its overpowering taste in foods.
Hence it should not be used in equal quantity to that of white wine vinegar in a recipe.
Substitute half a tablespoon of lemon juice and half tablespoon of water for one tablespoon of white wine vinegar
Health Benefits of Lemon Juice
- It improves heart health
- It aids in weight loss
- Lemon Juice can help in preventing kidney stones
- It helps in treating indigestion
- It helps with skin problems
Lemon Juice bad Impacts on Health
- It may cause heartburn in some people
- It may erode tooth enamel
- Overconsumption can lead to stomach problems
5. Champagne Vinegar
Champagne vinegar makes an excellent substitute for white wine vinegar.
As champagne vinegar is made by fermenting champagne or juice of wine grapes, it has a very light and delicate flavor.
Its mild taste makes it a good substitute for white wine vinegar. It can be used in many dishes like dipping sauces, seafood dishes, dressings, and marinades.
Its subtle taste adds a mild flavor to recipes without being overpowering in dishes. It’s lighter and delicate than white wine vinegar but is an excellent substitute.
Substitute: one and a half tablespoon of Champagne vinegar for one tablespoon of white wine vinegar.
Health Benefits of Champagne Vinegar
- It helps the body absorb nutrients
- It helps in stabilizing blood sugars
- Champagne vinegar helps in cholesterol control
- It has a lot of antioxidant benefits
- It can also help with weight loss
Champagne Vinegar Bad Impacts on Health
- It has the potential to erode tooth enamel
- Overconsumption can trigger acid reflux
- Overconsumption can cause stomach inflammation
6. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar can serve as a substitute for white wine vinegar.
This vinegar is made into vinegar by fermentation of apples.
The vinegar is very versatile and has the tanginess of vinegar, sourness of apples, and a slightly sweet flavor.
Its light color makes it a good substitute in dishes that call for white wine vinegar.
However, owing to its flavor profile, it might slightly change the taste of the dish.
It can be used in marinades, pickles, stews, and other flavor-intensive dishes.
However, it is not recommended to be used as a substitute in vinaigrettes or sauces where delicate flavors are needed.
Substitute one tablespoon apple cider vinegar for one tablespoon of white wine vinegar.
Health Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar
- It can help kill bacteria
- It helps in lowering blood sugar and fights diabetes
- Apple Cider Vinegar helps in lowering cholesterol and improve heart health
- It helps with weight loss and reducing belly fat
- It can also help prevent heartburn
Apple Cider Vinegar Bad Impacts on Health
- Overconsumption can lower potassium in the body leading to osteoporosis
- As it helps lower the blood sugar levels in people with diabetes, so it should be monitored
- It may cause damage to tooth enamel
7. Balsamic Vinegar
Balsamic vinegar can also be used as a substitute for white wine vinegar.
It is made from grape juice that is then reduced.
This means that this vinegar contains all the nutrients, minerals, and vitamins from the fruit.
Balsamic vinegar is an excellent choice when making salad dressings, marinades, and other foods.
However, it has a very distinct flavor that is bold, sharp, and complex.
As balsamic vinegar has a unique flavor, it might not be an ideal substitute for white wine vinegar in most dishes.
Substitute one tablespoon balsamic vinegar for one tablespoon of white wine vinegar.
Health Benefits of Balsamic Vinegar
- It can help to relieve congestion
- It helps in reducing acid reflux
- Balsamic helps in treating wounds
- It helps in lowering high blood pressure and hypertension
- It helps regulate blood sugar
Balsamic Vinegar Bad Impacts on Health
- Overconsumption can upset stomach
- It can cause inflammation of the throat
- Overconsumption can damage the food pipe
8. Can I substitute White Vinegar for White Wine Vinegar?
White vinegar is made by fermentation of grain alcohol.
The alcohol used in its making does not contain many natural nutrients, so it’s often fermented by adding ingredients like yeast or phosphates.
White vinegar is very acidic in flavor compared to white wine vinegar.
For best use, it must be diluted in water and a bit of sugar to achieve the desired flavor.
White vinegar can be used in pickles, marinades and sauces and salads.
However, it’s not an ideal substitute for white wine vinegar as the flavor is different.
It does provide a similar acidity like white wine vinegar.
Substitute three-fourths of a tablespoon of white vinegar, one-fourth of a tablespoon of water, and a dash of sugar for one tablespoon of white wine vinegar
Health Benefits of White Vinegar
- It helps in lowering cholesterol and reducing the risk of obesity
- It helps in lowering blood sugar and insulin after meals
- White vinegar can also help in treating physical ailments
- It has antibacterial effects
- It has an antihypertensive effect
Bad Impacts of White vinegar on Health
- Overconsumption can cause inflammatory conditions
- It may have an effect on the throat
- It may cause degradation of tooth enamel
Here is a video explaining a few more white wine substitutes
9. Honey Vinegar
Honey vinegar is made by fermentation of honey into vinegar.
This vinegar is versatile in many ways.
It is not only a good substitute for white wine vinegar in many recipes but can also be used in cocktails too.
Honey vinegar is excellent to use in salads, dressings, and garnishes as it gives nice acidity with a bit of sweetness which is quite like the flavor of white wine vinegar
However, it may be difficult to find honey vinegar as it not the most readily available vinegar in the market.
Substitute one tablespoon of honey vinegar for one tablespoon of white wine vinegar.
Health Benefits of Honey Vinegar
- It enhances digestion.
- It helps in nourishing and rejuvenating the skin.
- Helps to lose weight.
- Prevents apathy, hay fever, sore throat, stomach discomfort.
- Promotes blood circulation.
Honey Vinegar Bad Impacts on Health
- Unpasteurized vinegar can carry bacteria.
- It may have an effect on the throat.
- It may aggravate indigestion and heartburn.
10. Can I substitute White wine for white wine vinegar?
White wine is a type of wine that is made by fermentation of white grapes producing an alcoholic beverage that’s ideal for cooking too.
White wine is sharp and acidic, but it’s less acidic than white wine vinegar.
It has a strong flavor and is often used in French dishes, making sauces, but it is quite strong to be used for salad dressings.
Substitute two tablespoons of white wine for one tablespoon of white wine vinegar.
Health Benefits of White Wine
- It can help with heart and metabolism improvements.
- It can help improve cholesterol levels.
- White wine is good for lung function as well.
- It is full of antioxidants that help in reducing stress hormones.
- Promotes blood circulation.
White Wine bad Impacts on Health
- The Overconsumption of white wine can lead to weight gain
- Overconsumption can disrupt the sleep cycle
- Overconsumption can result in liver disease
11. Fruit Vinegar
Fruit vinegar is an excellent substitute for white wine vinegar as they add subtle fruity overtones and acidity to the dish without overpowering the taste.
Authentic fruit vinegar is made by fermenting fruit juice into wine and then allowing it to blend with the acid.
Fruit vinegar has a very distinctive flavor that makes them ideal substitutes for white wine vinegar in salad dressings, sauces, and some chicken recipes.
As fruit vinegar is little mild than white wine vinegar and slightly sweet too, it can easily be used in vinaigrettes.
Substitute: There is no rule as to how much fruit vinegar should be used to substitute white wine vinegar.
Build the taste by pairing and complimenting flavors in the dish
Health Benefits of Fruit Vinegar
- Its anti-glycaemic properties to help reduce blood sugar levels.
- It may help in reducing weight.
- Fruit vinegar helps in improving cognitive function and memory retention.
- It increases the body’s absorption of essential nutrients.
- It’s packed with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties.
Fruit Vinegar bad Impacts on Health
- It can aggravate acid reflux.
- It can interact with medicines and alter its result.
- Direct consumption can damage tooth enamel and tissues in the throat.
12. Specialty Vinegar
Specialty vinegar is a category of vinegar that is prepared using herbs or fruits to provide a special and unique flavor to foods.
Like tarragon, raspberry, sherry, other herbs, and fruit vinegar, specialty vinegar have unique flavors that can be used as a substitute for white wine vinegar in salad dressings and sauces.
Specialty vinegar not only adds an unusual or aromatic addition to the dishes but are also a favorite in gourmet foods.
They add flavors from sweet, spicy or acidic to any dish, elevating its taste.
Health Benefits of Speciality Vinegar
- It helps in enhancing weight loss.
- It helps in stabilizing blood sugars.
- This vinegar can help lowering cholesterol.
- It helps in maintaining alkaline pH.
- It helps eases digestion.
Speciality Vinegar bad Impacts on Health
- Overconsumption can cause digestive problems
- It can cause tooth enamel damage
- It may cause throat irritation and allergic reactions
What is a Good substitute for White Wine Vinegar in Cooking?
A good substitute for white wine vinegar in cooking is Champagne vinegar.
Both white wine vinegar and Champagne vinegar are derived from wines.
Therefore, they are mild in flavor and acidity compared to other types of vinegar.
As both the vinegar share the same taste and flavor profile, it makes them suitable substitutes of each other in cooking.
Unlike other types of vinegar, both white wine vinegar and champagne vinegar are mildly sour, which makes cooking with them quite easy.
Although white wine vinegar is more acidic compared to champagne vinegar, it can still be easily substituted for it.
Champagne vinegar can easily be used in place of white wine vinegar in marinades, vinaigrettes, salads, and even enhancing sauces. It also pairs exceptionally well with seafood dishes.
If you’ve run out of white wine vinegar and looking for a substitute, you’re in luck.
There are so many unique and best substitutes for white wine vinegar that provides not only the perfect flavor but also similar acidity to your recipe.
If you need a substitute, try using one of the best substitutes listed above.
However, if you’re in dire need, then you can use lemon juice, white vinegar, or balsamic vinegar as well.
When substituting other vinegar for white wine vinegar make sure to keep in mind the level of acidity, tangy flavor or sweetness required in the dish for that perfect flavor.
Have you tried one of the substitutes mentioned above for white wine vinegar? Which one worked for your recipe? Let me know in the comment box.
Foodi Ideas has EVERYTHING, We cover almost every recipe around the world, We are a food company based in the United States! We hope you enjoy these recipes and content on our website!
Read More About us