A friend of mine called me and asked me, “Since you are a nutritionist, so I wanted to ask you what should I eat to stay fit and healthy?” Later that day, she was so happy to read my guideline, which I wrote after doing some research, and I thought I should share it on our blog as well.
So if you want to stay fit and healthy, you must eat an energy-rich diet full of nutrients, packed with essential vitamins. Add fresh fruits and vegetables, nuts, meat, legumes, and, most importantly, unsaturated fats to your healthy food list.
When I was going through it, I found most of the people were taking food without considering their body’s needs.
I found it quite alarming and added the recommended food intake in my findings with complete nutritional value and health benefits.
I have also created an infographic for you that you can save it in your phone and use it as your diet plan.
Always consider food research before deciding your platter to stay fit and healthy.
Best Foods to Eat to Stay Fit
Fruits and vegetables shield you from fatal diseases.
As it is also confirmed by scientists that by consuming healthy fruits and vegetables, you can beat 20% of heart diseases (1).
So, let’s dig into the healthy food items that you should eat to stay fit and healthy.
Apple is one of the best fiber-rich fruits available in multiple varieties.
You can enjoy its nutrients by taking it as a whole, in the form of fresh juice or salads. It will give you extra energy.
Essential Nutrients in Apple (per 100 grams)
|2.4 gm||10.4 gm||52|
How Many Apples Should You Eat to Stay Fit?
If we talk about chopped apples, 2 cups would be enough for individuals of 19 years and onward. For children, 1 cup a day would be sufficient.
Health Benefits of Apple
- Apples are rich in antioxidants that help to protect against cancer (2).
- Apples contain high fibers with low calories (3).
- Apples perform an essential role in protecting the body from various diseases like diabetes and asthma (4).
Banana is an amazingly delicious fruit with a pulpy rich sweetness that you can also take in the breakfast to fuel yourself.
Essential Nutrients in Banana (1 medium-sized)
|3.1 gm||30 gm||110|
How Many Bananas Should You Eat to Stay Fit?
As bananas are sweet enough that no one can hold on, but it is recommended to take 3-4 bananas a day.
Health Benefits of Banana
- Excellent for the digestive system and improves gastrointestinal health (5).
- Bananas do not overweight you, so you can eat them without being worried about your weight (6).
- They are also good for liver metabolism (7).
Milk is the full nutritious package to stay fit and healthy because it directly affects the body structure, bones. Healthy bones make a healthy person!
Essential Nutrients in Milk (1 cup of cow milk)
How Much Milk Should You Take to Stay Fit?
As recommended by U.S dietary guidelines, 3 cups or 732ml/day of milk is necessary for adults (8). So, if you want a healthy body, add it to your daily routine.
Health Benefits of Milk
- Many bone problems, like osteoporosis, are solved by milk consumption (9).
- If you have high blood pressure issues or cardiovascular problems, milk is best for you (10).
- Milk is having great benefit of providing no solid fat (11).
Whole grain bread is one of the healthiest foods that contain plenty of nutrients. It could be a better breakfast choice for you that is rich in fiber, proteins, and other nutrients.
Essential Nutrients in Bread (for 1 thin slice)
|2 gm||3 gm||93|
How Much Bread Should You Take to Stay Fit?
As it is recommended to have about 6 servings of grains for people ranging from 20-50 years, you can take 2-3 slices on average.
Health Benefits of Bread
- Whole bread helps to maintain the blood sugar level as it is rich in fiber and protein; they boost sugar absorption in the blood (12).
- It also helps in controlling obesity and belly fats (13).
- It can also save you from many digestive problems (14).
Carrot is a nutrient-rich, healthy vegetable that you can add to your daily food plan, either raw, boiled, or cooked.
Essential Nutrients in Carrots (per 100 grams)
|2.8 gm||0.9 gm||41|
How Many Carrots Should You Take to Stay Fit?
You need just one carrot for your whole day as it will give you plenty of vitamins and carotene.
Health Benefits of Carrots
- Carrots are rich in beta-carotene that is quite significant for vision (15).
- They also give a healthy bowl of dietary fibers.
- Carotene rich carrots give the best digestive system.
Leafy green food partner! Yes, spinach is a leafy green, healthy vegetable that you can either use in salads or enjoy in cooked form. It will keep you fit and healthy.
Essential Nutrients in Spinach (per 100 grams)
|2.2 gm||2.9 gm||23|
How Much Spinach Should You Take to Stay Fit?
A handful of spinach leaves would be enough to meet your daily needs and will give you a healthy amount of nutrients.
Health Benefits of Spinach
- Spinach is full of antioxidants that will protect you from cancer (16).
- As it is full of nitrates, it will help you from elevated blood pressure (17).
- It will also keep your body well-formed and boosted.
Eggs are tremendously nutritious and keep you active the whole day. They are a complete energy package. Just boil it and enjoy its energy that will keep you fit and healthy.
Essential Nutrients in Eggs (1 whole egg)
|5 gm||6 gm||77|
How Many Eggs Should You Take to Stay Fit?
On average, you can take 2-3 whole eggs (yolk and egg white) a day, as it is highly recommended for your energy boost up.
Health Benefits of Eggs
- Eggs give good cholesterol in the form of high-density lipoprotein that is good to be healthy (18).
- Eggs also reduce the risk of heart problems.
- The risk of metabolic syndrome is significantly lowered by adding eggs in your diet plan (19).
Fish is nutrients filled food. If you want proteins, good unsaturated fats, vitamins, and many more minerals, you should take them to stay fit and healthy.
Essential Nutrients in Fish (medium-sized)
|13 gm||40 gm||280|
How Much Fish Should You Take to Stay Fit?
You have to take at least two medium-sized fish pieces a week to keep your body replenished with all energy-boosting nutrients.
Health Benefits of Fish
- It is a powerhouse for you to keep yourself fit.
- Every kind of fish has good fats, omega 3 fatty acids that strengthen the brain (20).
- Fish is also good for your heart to protect from stroke (21).
Nuts give you a healthy snack option. You may have energy-rich nuts in your breakfast or can carry in your workout bag to satisfy your stomach.
Essential Nutrients in Nuts (per 100 grams)
|16 gm||6 gm||160|
How Many Nuts Should You Take to Stay Fit?
A handful of nuts daily can supplement your body. So, take about 10 grams or pick by closing your fist in the box. It will keep you focused and healthy.
Health Benefits of Nuts
- Nuts like almonds help to keep the body’s fat at a healthy level.
- Nuts are also good to lower the risk of heart attack (22).
- You will get all the essential nutrients from nuts, i.e., almonds, pistachios, pecans, and walnuts.
Legumes are worth adding in your food list as they are the cheapest healthy food. You can have chickpeas, lentils, black beans, kidney beans, peas, and many other legumes to stay fit.
Important Nutrients in Legumes
|0.4 gm||5 gm||81|
How Many Legumes Should You Take to Stay Fit?
Taking legumes on a daily basis is not good. It is recommended to have 2-3 times a week. You should take about a half cup twice or thrice a week.
Health Benefits of Legumes
- Legumes have a plus point of not having cholesterol and are free of saturated fats (23).
- They are rich in minerals and nutrients.
- If you want low-fat food, legumes are for you.
So, you have got clearly what should you eat to stay fit and healthy, now it is your turn to add these healthy foods to your diet. Do let me know which food you found most suitable and what benefits you got.
Eat well, stay fit!
You are just like my family, and I am your nutritionist the same way I am of my parents. I will never suggest a meal that goes against your health. As I do not allow my family to make a missed shot with the food, I will choose the same for you. Read More About Me…